Node4 are expanding their Data Ops technical team and are looking for an experienced Senior Database Engineer who is passionate about RDBMS technology and is fully engaged with public cloud offerings, automated deployment, and configuration management. The Senior Database Engineer will lead on consultancy and qualification with customers contributing to statements of billable works and providing solutions. This is a "hands-on" position requiring in-depth technical skill and excellent interpersonal and communication skills. You will be forward thinking, customer focused and self-motivated with the drive to improve database services and the user experience.
What you’ll be doing?
- Manage SQL Server databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Leadership & consulting ability to engage customers.
- A natural desire to continue developing skills and helping customers to modernise their systems as appropriate.
- Write consultancy level reports to be consumed by technical and non-technical audiences.
- Explain technical concepts and the underlying principles to solutions during customer engagements.
- Prioritise and effectively manage your time amongst several concurrent projects.
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes.
- Responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL Server systems, to ensure the availability and consistent performance of customer sites.
- Participate in an Out-of-Hours support rota for customer sites.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
What you’ll bring?
As a Senior Database Engineer you will be expected to demonstrate certain skills in order to successfully fulfil the role. These include:
- 5+ years MS SQL Server Administration experience required in SQL Server 2008 to 2019.
- Experience with tuning and optimization for performance.
- Experience of troubleshooting tools ideally both on-premises and in the cloud.
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models.
- Monitor database performance to avoid bottlenecks and critical conditions to ensure continued delivery of service.
- Excellent understanding of the SQL Server architecture.
- Excellent understanding of T-SQL queries, stored procedures, user-defined functions, views, indexes, and developer code associated with the database.
- Excellent analytical & problem-solving skills, identifying root causes and offering solutions.
- Experience of high availability and disaster recovery implementations and maintenance.
- Experience managing and troubleshooting Windows Server.
- ITIL incident management and problem management.
- Azure cloud experience (i.e. Azure SQL Database, Managed Instance, SQL IaaS).
- PowerShell scripting experience.
- Experience of code management in GitHub.
- Experience of Azure DevOps.
Working at Node4!
Recognised as one of the UK’s 100 Best Workplaces™ by Great Place to Work®, Node4 is an innovative Managed Services Provider, offering IT infrastructure and services, all flexibly deployed across our own infrastructure fabric and the public cloud.
We provide a range of solutions, including cloud services to support hybrid and multi-cloud models, connectivity, data services, collaboration, and security. This enables us to help UK businesses in every sector do more in the digital age.
Work for Node4 and you will be part of a friendly, supportive culture focused on delivering Exceptional Service as a Standard (ESaaS) to our customers, prospects and one another.